Inspection in the Office of the Marshal of the Lubelskie Voivodeship completed. Two notifications submitted to the prosecutor’s office
From November 2019 to August 2020, the CBA officers of the Regional Office in Lublin conducted an inspection in the Marshal's Office of the Lubelskie Voivodeship. They controlled the 2017 - 2019 disbursement of funds from the Project "Lubelskie Voivodeship Economic Marketing II".
The value of the Project amounted to over PLN 72 million. The main objective of the Project was to support marketing activities in creating a positive image of the Lublin region in terms of potential investors and contractors, as well as to promote companies of the Lublin region on domestic and international markets.
In the course of the inspection, the following irregularities were found:
• in the agreements concluded with the Project Contractors, the absence of provisions which would duly secure the financial interests of the Voivodeship,
• completion of tasks without reservations, by confirming the performance of the full subject-matter of the contract unduly, i.e. without the required information and documentation concerning the completion of the task in question,
• failure to calculate contractual penalties due to the Marshal's Office of the Lubelskie Voivodeship,
• in the concluded contracts, the absence of provisions concerning contractual penalties for improper performance of the contract and the right to a proportional reduction of the Contractor's remuneration in the event of non-performance of a part of the contract,
• granting funding for tasks whose connection with the economic promotion of the Lubelskie Voivodeship is difficult to demonstrate,
• monitoring Project indicators to an insufficient extent in the years 2017-2018, which could result in the loss of the grant and the need to reimburse a large part of the funds,
• collecting and keeping documentation of individual tasks in violation of the Instructions in force at the Marshal's Office of the Lublin Voivodeship.
The indicated irregularities caused damage to the property of the Office of the Marshal of the Lublin Voivodeship in the amount of PLN 442,421.68.
Several dozen Project contracts were audited, which show that the selection, organisation and implementation of part of the Project's tasks, especially in the years 2017-2018, took place in a rather chaotic and random manner and resulted in a "dilution" of the objective and the effect of this undertaking, which should be real and measurable. The economic promotion of the Lublin Region often consisted only in placing the logotype of the Lublin Voivodeship on various types of promotional materials – posters, banners, roll-ups, leaflets, etc.
After the completion of the inspection, the CBA submitted a post-control report to the Marshal of the Lubelskie Voivodeship, in which the Bureau indicated the irregularities and submitted requests to initiate activities aiming at strengthening the supervision over the selection and implementation of the Project tasks, enforcing contractual penalties from the entities performing the tasks, concluding and settling contracts with Contractors in a way that secures the interests of the Lubelskie Voivodeship.
The CBA inspection ended with submitting two notifications of the possibility of having committed criminal offences by persons supervising the proper implementation and protocol acceptance of the Projects. The notifications were filed with the District Prosecutor's Office in Lublin. The suspects are alleged with abuse of powers, causing a huge property damage, attestation of an untruth in the certificates of completion and final acceptance, and failure to comply with the obligation to charge contractual penalties.